Daily Archives: October 23, 2012
Money Matter$, Sports (It is a Motown Tiger – San Fran Giants World Serious! but the Lions lost to the Chicago Bears!), $urpri$e$, Volcano, Natural Ga$, Job$, Entertainment, Drugs, $tocks, Sexy!
Do I have your attention? Today’s writing focus is about the marketplace. Will APPL hit 700 again?
The economy is improving… just look at the rise of the $tock market. The DJIA > 1,300.
Apple (APPL) Computer is one such company. Caterpillar and Yahoo chime in on Monday. 3M, Facebook, and others do the do on Tuesday. AT&T, Boeing, Delta Air, US Air, and Lockheed Martin figures come out this Wednesday. Thursday APPL, Amazon, and Procter & Gamble (PG) finish up the parade of quarterlies.
Apple is now a $584 billion dollar company. Its profit to earnings (P/E) ratio stands at a healthy 14.66. Their earnings per share (EPS) are $42.55. Its stock value was up more than 2% early on Monday. At $623 per share, it ain’t affordable by too many.
Amazon has only a $106 billion market cap. In contrast to APPL, its stock stands at $285.58 per share and the EPS is 0.82.
Procter & Gamble (PG) may be a gamble. PG’s market cap is 187.6 billion, the P/E stands at 18.63, EPS is 3.66, and stock price is about $68.17. I believe they have already hit PGs 52-week high.
With the coming flu season, Clorox (CLX) may be a good buy now. CLX is a $9.60 billion company. Its P/E is 18.3, EPS is 4.1, and stock price is affordable.
It is a Motown Tiger – San Fran Giants World Serious!
But the Lions lost to the Chicago Bears!
President Obama beat Republican Romney/Ryan on Monday night, too.
Recent market activity has resulted in surprises.
- The big gains last week by RV makers Thor Industries (up 5.6%) and Winnebago (up 12%) despite rising gas prices.
- Dean Foods (DF) hit their 52-week high at $18.50. DF has a market cap at 3.4 billion and EPS of $7.97.
- Manpower Group (MAN) has made major gains as employers seem to not be hiring but asking for temp workers. MAN is at $39.64. Its P/E is 15.4 and EPS is $2.40 and it market cap is $3.15 billion.
Taking into consideration Friday’s 200+ point drop in stock prices and sector gains and losses, we are encouraged by the energy and pharmaceutical industries. Drug and biotech stocks went up 6.32% and the energy sector rose higher upwards of 7%.
We’ve been watching four energy companies.
Chesapeake Energy (CHK) is the largest with a market cap of $13.5 billion. Its P/E is 6.99 and the EPS is $3.01.
Peabody Energy (BTU) was up 3% in the early-going Monday. Its price is $21.07, the market cap is 7.81 billion, the P/E is 9.06, and EPS is $3.22.
If you are looking for alternative energy, don’t look for it in the stock market. Perhaps a good one – a share can be purchased for $4.24 – is Trina Solar (TSL). It carries a $300 million market cap, an EPS of (negative) – $3.23, and zero P/E. See, a company must have some profits to calculate this ratio.
My favorite is Western Gas Partners (WES)! WES is now a $5.03 billion corporation. Its stock price is $52.57. The P/E is 4.3. The EPS is $1.21. Natural gas may be “where it is at.”
There are four pharmaceutical companies we have been tracking – so get cracking.
- Questcor Pharmaceutical’s (QCOR) stock price went up 13.5% last week. It is now valued at $26.32.
- Cepheid (CPHD) is a $2.09 billion company. Its stock price is now right around $31.
- Given Imaging (GIVN) is a $575 million company. The P/E = 45.6 and EPS = 0.41. GIVN’s stock price is right around $18.67.
- Volcano Corporation (VOLC) ain’t too shabby – it has a market cap at $1.53 billion. Its stock price is $29. The P/E = 44.5 and EPS = $0.65.
There you have it. Good luck and enjoy the games.
– Max’s Scout Services & Communication, LLC –
[ for musement only ]